Your Chromebook has built-in support for VPNs that use L2TP over IPsec. The IPsec layer will either use a pre-shared key (PSK) or user certificates to set up the secure tunnel. The L2TP layer requires a username and password.
Limitations: Chromebooks don’t support IKEv2, XAUTH, or "raw" IPsec without L2TP.
- At the bottom right, select the time.
- Select Settings .
- In the “Network” section, select Add connection.
- Next to OpenVPN / L2TP, select Add .
- In the box that appears, fill in the info. If you're using your Chromebook with an organization, you might need to get this information from your administrator.
- Server hostname: This can either be the IP address or the full server hostname.
- Service name: This can be anything you want to name this connection. For example: "Work VPN."
- Provider type: Select L2TP/IPsec + Pre-shared key or L2TP/IPsec + User certificate.
- Username, Password: Your L2TP/PPP credentials. Each VPN user should have their own unique username and password.
- Group name: The client's IPsec identity field, which some VPN servers use to set up the Tunnel Group or User Realm. If you’re unsure, leave this field empty.
- Pre-shared key: Used for PSK connections only. This key isn't your personal password, but a passphrase or key used in the IPsec configuration. In a typical set-up, everyone who connects to the same VPN server will use the same PSK.
- Server CA certificate: Used for user certificate connections only. Select your installed certificate authority certificate from the list. The server's certificate will be checked to ensure that it was signed by the correct certificate authority (CA). If you are having trouble with your server certificate, you can select "Don’t check" to skip CA validation; however, this skips an important security measure.
- User certificate: Used for user certificate connections only. Select your installed user VPN certificate from the list. If you don't have any certificates installed, you'll see an error message. To install a certificate, see the instructions below.
- Select Connect.
Please sign in to leave a comment.