Before the switch can be connected to the network the IP address must be changed. The default IP address on the switch is 192.168.1.1; this is the most commonly used IP address router manufacturers use as the default IP. The IP address on the switch will need to be changed so that:
- It does not conflict with any address currently on your network. IP conflicts will cause communication issues on the network.
- IP address must be changed so that once connected to the network it can still be accessed for further configurations.
Switch IP Setup
To make the changes on the switch connect your computer to one of the available Ethernet ports and:
- Make sure both your computer and switch are powered ON.
- Manually configure an IP address on your computer's NIC card, use an IP address between 192.168.1.2~192.168.1.254, the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, no gateway address (router address) or DNS server addresses are necessary.
Manual IP setup on Windows OS
Manual IP setup on macOS
- Open an internet browser on the computer (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, etc.) and erase the address bar entry. On the address bar type http://192.168.1.1 and hit the ENTER/RETURN key. A login screen will open asking for user credentials, the username is admin and password is 1234.
- To change the switches IP address to match your networks IP scheme, go to menu Configuration → System → IP.
- Set the IP info manually or set the switch to obtain the IP info from your DHCP server. By default, the switch can only be accessed through VLAN 1, you can change the management VLAN if you are planning to access the configuration screen through a different VLAN.
Please sign in to leave a comment.