This tutorial goes over USB drive setup
The ZLD appliance has limited storage available, using an external USB flash drive allows you to keep a longer log history, store large packet captures, diagnostic files, etc.
Note: This feature will not increase the configurations capabilities. It will not be used to store port forward rules, firewall rules, etc.
USB Storage Setup
To configure the ZLD appliance to utilize an external USB flash drive to store data, please do the following:
- Use a USB 2.0 compatible USB flash drive formatted using FAT32.
- Plug the flash drive into an available USB port on the ZLD appliance.
- Login to the ZLD appliance WebUI. If the USB drive is recognized the "Virtual Device" widget will show the USB port in use.
- From the device WebUI go to, Configuration → System → USB Storage.
- Select the option to "Activate USB storage service" and configure the disk full warning threshold (can be configured in remaining MB of storage or disk percentage).
- From the WebUI go to, Monitor → System Status → USB Storage. This will display information about the USB flash drive. There will be one of two options available on this page depending on whether the drive is in use. Options are "Use It" or "Remove Now".
- Select Use It to mount the drive for system use.
- Select Remove Now to safely unmount the drive and disconnect.
USB Storage for Logs
Different model ZLD devices support different about of log entries, for instance the USG60W supports 512 log entries while the USG1900 supports 2048. Once the limit is reached older logs will be overwritten by new log entries. Using the USB storage, the ZLD appliance can save a copy of the logs to the drive, allowing admin users to have a longer log history. To allow the ZLD appliance to save log entries to the flash drive do the following:
- Access the ZLD appliance WebUI.
- Go to Configuration → Log & Report → Log Settings.
- Select the USB Storage option and click the Edit button at the top of the list, or, double-click on the USB storage option to edit.
- To enable the USB Storage logging, do the following:
- Check the box to "Duplicate logs to USB storage".
- You can specify an amount of time (in days) to keep the logs in the flash drive by checking the "Enable log keep duration" option.
- Click the Selection drop-down button to enable logging for all categories, or, scroll down the list and manually enable the category you wish to have copied to the USB storage.
- Click OK to save/apply the changes.
USB Storage for Diagnostic
The USB Storage can be used to save diagnostic files for the appliance or managed access points (with AP Controller Capability). Diagnostic files are used by ZyXEL to troubleshoot hardware/software related issues with the ZLD appliance. To configure the ZLD appliance to save diagnostic reports to the flash drive please do the following:
- Access the ZLD appliance WebUI.
- Go to Maintenance → Diagnostics menu.
- From the Diagnostics tab, check the box to "Copy the diagnostics file to USB storage". Click the Apply button at the bottom of the page to save the settings.
- If the ZLD appliance is managing access points, click the Collect on AP tab to enable collection of diagnostics from the access points.
- Select the AP(s) from Available APs and move them to the Collected APs list.
- Check the box to "Copy the diagnostics file to USB storage"
- Click the Apply button at the bottom of the page to save the settings.
USB Storage for Packet Capture
The USB storage can be used to save long packet capture files. The ZLD appliances can gather packet captures which can be used by the network administrator to learn what type of traffic is flowing on the network. The ZLD appliance can save the capture directly to the internal storage, but, depending on how extensive the appliance configuration is, there may not be enough space to store the capture. Saving the capture file to the flash storage will allow a network admin to run the capture for a longer period (depending on USB flash storage capacity). To configure the built-in ZLD packet capture feature go to, Maintenance → Diagnostics and click the Packet Capture tab.
Under the miscellaneous settings (Misc setting) please make the following changes to take advantage of the larger storage capability on the USB flash drive:
- Select the "Save data to USB storage" option. (Note: Available storage space will be defined)
- By default, the packet capture feature is programmed to log 10MB worth of packets, this number can be increased if storage is available from the "Capture Packet Files" option.
- Packet captures will be split into 2MB files based on default settings. This means that a 10MB capture would be broken into 5 files (@ 2MB). You can increase this limit under the "Split threshold" option.