Installing a wireless adapter on a computer can be a frustrating event. This guide will provide instructions on DOs and DON’Ts for setting up your new wireless adapter.
Connecting the Adapter
The most common wireless adapter these days are USB connected adapters. These can be plugged in at any time.
PCI based wireless adapters require a bit more work. Please do the following if installing a PCI based card.
- Power down the computer.
- Remove power cable from computer tower, or electrical outlet.
- Wait 5-10 minutes to open computer shell.
- Plug the card into available PCI slot securely.
- Close computer shell.
- Reconnect power cable and turn computer ON.
Now that the adapter (PCI or USB) is plugged in and the computer is powered ON, we can begin to install the device. For computers running Windows XP and newer it is recommended that only the driver(s) be installed. Computers running Windows XP and newer have a wireless client built-in, no need to install the ZyXEL wireless client. To install the driver:
- Make sure your computer is turned ON.
- Open “Device Manager” on your computer. Open the RUN window and type devmgmt.msc and hit the enter/return key or click the OK button to open. (alternate commands include control /name Microsoft.DeviceManager and control hdwwiz.cpl)
- The device should show up under the “Other Devices” category.
- Right-click the adapter and select “Update Driver Software”.
- The Update Driver Software wizard will appear prompting to select a method of installing the driver. Select “Browse my computer for driver software”.
- Click Browse and select the CD-ROM (if installing drivers from CD) or the driver/directory where the driver is located (if drivers were downloaded from online server). Click Next to begin the installation process.
- Once the driver is installed click Close to close the wizard and finish the installation process.
Computers running Windows 2000 and older need to have the ZyXEL utility installed as these operating systems lack a built-in client. To install the ZyXEL utility place the installation CD included in the adapter package. Run the installation wizard and follow the instructions to install.