A Wireless Distribution System (WDS) is a wireless connection between two or more AP’s. This allows a wireless network to be expanded between multiple access points without the need of a wired connection for the backbone.
To configure the wireless distribution system feature on the WAP please login to the web configuration screen and access menu, Configuration → Network → Wireless LAN and select the WDS tab. A WDS link can be established with up to four remote WAP devices. Please be sure to take note of all the MAC addresses, this info is needed to configure the WDS. Make the following changes from the WDS tab:
- Basic Setting – By default the WDS feature is set to “Disable”. Click the dropdown and select a WDS feature option.
- AP+Bridge – This option allows the WAP to function as a bridge to other WAP devices and an access point simultaneously. (Recommended)
- Bridge – This option allows the WAP to function as a network bridge and establish a network link to other WAP access points. Wi-Fi clients cannot connect.
- Phy Mode – Select the Phy Mode the WAP should use to dictate the maximum size of packets during data transmission.
- CCK – Use this option for 802.11b transmissions only.
- OFDM – Use this option for 802.11g transmissions only.
- HTMIX – Use this option for 802.11b/g transmissions only.
- GREENFIELD – Use this option for 802.11n transmissions only. (Recommended)
- Remote MAC Address – Type in the MAC address of the other WAP access points (up to four) to establish WDS with.
- Encrypt Type – Adding encryption to the WDS link will protect packet transfers from middleman attackers. Using AES encryption is highly recommended.
- Encrypt Key – If security is enabled, please enter the security password here.
- Click Apply to save the settings.
- Repeat the process on all WAP access points that will be joining the WDS link (up to four).
- Example of setup on remote WAP.