The WRE2205/v2 is a universal repeater that is an access point and a wireless client at the same time. The WRE wirelessly relays communications from its wireless clients to the primary access point. This helps you expand wireless coverage when you have an access point or wireless router already in your network. However, if the main access point uses removable antennas the best (more cost efficient) solution would be to swap the original antennas for high gain antennas. The higher the gain of the antenna the better the coverage area, consult with the manufacturer for specs on the max gain an antenna can have for your product model. If the antennas have already been swapped with high gain antennas or the main wireless base station uses internal antennas, the WRE can be used to cover any areas where Wi-Fi is scarce.
Before the devices can be configured to connect to your primary wireless base station please do the following:
- Unpack the WRE2205(v2) repeater from its packaging
- Connect the WRE to a power outlet
- Connect a computer (using an Ethernet cable) to the WRE repeater
- Disconnect the computer from any associated wireless network (if applicable)
- Switch the power toggle on the WRE repeater to the “ON” position (boot process takes about 30 seconds)
Accessing the WebUI
To configure the WRE repeater to establish a connection with your main wireless base station please open an internet browser (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, etc.) and type one of the two options below on the address bar.
- http://zyxelsetupXXXX (where XXXX is the last four characters of the device MAC address)
Note: This option only works if the WRE repeater is running the latest software version. Use option 2 if the WRE does not respond to this address.
A window will pop-up asking for the device administrative credentials, type in the username and password and click “OK” to continue. The default user credentials are admin/1234
Note: If the default password has been changed, use the new password to login. If this is the first time setting up the device and it is not accepting the “1234” password please press the WPS/RESET button on the device (the black button) and hold it down for 10-15 seconds.
Selecting the Wireless Network to Extend
You will be presented with a wireless scan (Site Survey) of all the Wi-Fi signals available in your area.
Select the name of your wireless signal and click the “Next” button.
Wireless Network Security Settings
If your wireless network is secure you will be prompted to enter the wireless key (password).
Enter the wireless password for your main wireless router and click “Next” to continue.
Once the wireless password has been verified you will see a “Connecting Success” screen.
Click “Next” to continue the setup.
On the summary screen, you will see the name the WRE repeater will be broadcasting once the settings are applied.
You can choose to change the Extender’s SSID or keep it as it is.
Click the “Apply” button to finish the setup wizard. This will save all the settings to the WRE memory and reboot the device.
Problem: I entered the http://zyxelsetupXXXX on my browser but it is not opening the setup page.
- Make sure your computer is connected to the WRE Repeater using an Ethernet cable
- Make sure the computer is disconnected from the Wireless (the Ethernet connection should be the only connection usable by the computer)
- Try a different browser
- Try opening the setup page using the IP address instead of the URL: http://192.168.1.2
- Power OFF the WRE, wait 10 seconds and power back ON.
- Reset the WRE back to factory default. (Press the WPS/RESET button and hold it down for 10-15 seconds)
Problem: I cannot see my wireless network on the setup wizards Site Survey.
- The WRE only displays 5 wireless network results per page. Make sure you go through all pages by clicking the “<” or “>” button.
- Make sure the WRE is within wireless range from your main router. Move the WRE to a closer position and try again. The WRE needs to be within 70% signal strength from your main wireless router for optimal performance.
- Make sure the network broadcast from your main wireless router is not being hidden. If the network broadcast is hidden you will need to manually enter the settings or change the main router to broadcast the name.
Problem: My wireless extender is no longer connecting to the internet.
- The WRE Repeater may no longer be in wireless range from your wireless router. Please move the WRE closer and try again.
- If the wireless settings on your main wireless router have changed, this will sever the link between the WRE Repeater. You will need to run the setup again to establish the connection with the new settings.
Problem: I cannot repeat the signal from my wireless router.
- Verify you have the correct security key (wireless password) for your router.
- Make sure the wireless signal is 70% or greater from the main wireless router.
- Ensure your router doesn’t have additional security features enabled such as MAC Filtering. If MAC Filtering is enabled this can prevent the connection from being established.